Essence of Hawai’i Photo Contest
is now closed and no longer accepting entries.
PhotoCon Hawai‘i is a State-wide photo contest. It is open to professional photographers, amateur photographers, students, visitors and all residents who are “like minded image creators” of Hawai‘i.
Only images that you have created in Hawai‘i since January 1st 2017, are eligible for entry. (No participating event vendors nor the Noyle or jury’s Ohana, may enter.
2: Can I enter published work or images that have already won another contest?
No, only unpublished work may be entered. Images used for your personal use on your own social media, will be acceptable.
3: A completed and signed official entry online form must be used for all entries.
4: Entries will be judged on:
- Contest theme 30%
- Technical Proficiency 30%
- Artistic and Visual Impact. 40%
5: Winners will be announced on September 7th: 6:30pm Neal S. Blaisdell Center, Pikake Theatre. 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners will receive the listed sponsors prizes. Select images may be made by the judges which will be included in a gallery display, at various places around the islands.
1st place winner of the 2017 Essence of Hawaii photo contest.
NMG | Nella Media Group
Director of Advertising,| Hilton Hawaii
Executive Creative Director
President – The Art Source and Pictures Plus
Wall-to-Wall Studios, Inc.
6: By submitting an entry to PhotoCon Hawai‘i photo contest, you agree:
- Entrants must ensure that they own the undisputed copyright to their respective entries. Copyright of all photographs submitted rest with the photographer.
- Individuals entering the photo contest must warrant that they have the right to enter the image on behalf of any people in the image. If applicable, a model release will be required by PhotoCon Hawai’i should your image be selected.
- PhotoCon Hawai‘i reserves the non- exclusive irrevocable, worldwide rights to use your name, likeness and your image in connection with the photo contest as PhotoCon Hawai‘i sees fit, for marketing and promotional purposes across all media though there may not be any monetary compensation.
- PhotoCon Hawai‘i and their associates, affiliates or partners do not assume any responsibility for images submitted in violation of contest rules/copyright regulations. Images that demonstrate violation on copyright and or contest policies will be removed and disqualified.
- Contestants will be notified regarding any image usage rights should PhotoCon Hawai‘i be approached with any commercial opportunities related to a submitted image. Photographer will retain complete control over the licensing of their work and have the final say.
- Image copyright remains the property of the photographer even though permission to use imagery is given to PhotoCon Hawai‘i.
- All appropriate use by PhotoCon Hawai‘i will include photographer’s name and © credit.
- Judging is a blind process. Photographer’s names will only be disclosed to the jurors after the judging process has been completed. The decision of the judges of the competition shall be final and binding.
- This contest falls under any rules and regulations for such contests by the laws of the United States. Including copyright laws. Failure to comply with and accept all of the contest rules will disqualify any entry and PhotoCon Hawai‘i reserves the right to disqualify any entrant for any reason at PhotoCon Hawai‘i’s discretion.
- PhotoCon Hawai‘i reserves the right to disqualify any winner not providing the required personal information and winning image in the requested file and size after PhotoCon Hawai‘i’s request via the contact information supplied by the entrant.
- Replacement winners will be selected at the judges’ discretion.
7: How many images can I enter?
A maximum of 5 images, per person can be entered
8: How much are the entry fees? $15 for any amount of images up to 5.
9: Images must be submitted as follows.
Digital files must be saved as 72 dpi at 2000px longest side in RGB. Files should be named YourLastName_YourFirstName_image title.jpg. Note: No accented characters in file name. (i.e #2*)
Please read the Contest Rules and prepare your images for uploading according to the instructions.
10: What is the Caption? Your image caption will be used for anything noteworthy about your image. What, where, date and a brief description.
11: Entries may be color, black and white or duotone.
12: Digitally manipulated images may be entered
13: Once submitted to the contest image files will not be returned
14: Entries must be received by 8pm (HST) on July 25th, 2018
15: Taxes, if any, on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winner
16: PhotoCon Hawai‘i reserves the right to change or modify the rules at any time without notice
17: PhotoCon Hawai‘i may reproduce and allow reproduction of select images, in approved publications. Credit will be given to the photographer for any image(s) used.
18: By entering the Contest, participants agree that their images will remain a part of PhotoCon Hawai‘i history and may be used for future event promotions.
All winners are responsible for paying any taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above, including but not limited to customs fees if applicable. Winner may need to complete, sign and return an IRS W-9 form prior to the award of any prize. Any prize details or conditions not specified above will be determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. A winner may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Prizes will be awarded in Hawaii on September 7thth, 2018 at the Neal S. Blaisdell Center. Winners must pick up their prizes or cover shipping costs. ( Insurance, postage and custom duties, as needed)